St Giles Church
The top photo shows St Giles in the early 20th century. The church looks similar, but there are certainly fewer trees, and no war memorial.
The original St Giles, with its Chapel of the Holy Innocents, was dedicated by Ralph, Bishop of Rochester, some time between 1108 and 1115 CE. It’s 900th anniversary was celebrated in 2009. Some 13th century work still remains, though the church was mostly rebuilt by the Victorians in 1853. There are 6 stained glass windows, dedicated to local families, which date from the late 1800s. And, of course, there’s ‘The Old Dog’.
Welcome What's On Programme 2020-21 History of Codicote
Snippets from Codicote's Past Codicote Archaeological Digs
Family History Publications Features
Landscape History Project Membership & Contact Details