The Goat (High St)
This farmhouse from around 1590 converted to a pub in the 18th century. Formerly run by Benskins, the Watford brewery, the Goat has been run by Brenda & Graham Dovey since 1992, and supports many local activities.
Not much change in the building over the last century - spot the differences between the 1st photo of 1904 and the 2nd of the 1950s. The 3rd photo shows a very lucky escape. In the late 1980s, a blowlamp used for roof repairs ironically nearly did serious damage to the whole pub. Quick fire brigade action, plus a wind from the north, fortunately stopped the fire spreading to the rest of the pub.
Welcome What's On Programme 2019-20 History of Codicote
Snippets from Codicote's Past Codicote Archaeological Digs
Family History Publications Features
Landscape History Project Membership & Contact Details